in Pharmaceutical Sciences
We prepare students to be successful researchers and also to develop the broader skills needed to excel in a career path of their choice, such as academia, industry, health care, or private institutions dedicated to the promotion of human health and wellness.
Areas of emphasis
Our curriculum provides exposure to research in molecular and cellular biochemistry, basic and clinical pharmacology, neuropharmacology, immunology, gene therapy, pharmacokinetics, pharmacogenomics and pharmacogenetics, and nutrition and exercise physiology.
Active areas of research by our faculty include:
- novel drug development and delivery for cancer and other diseases
- signaling mechanisms associated with cancer growth and survival as well as cardiac remodeling
- genomic and proteomic approaches to cancer diagnosis and progression
- pharmacogenetics and pharmacogenomics
- heritable disorders of human metabolism
- exercise and dietary impact on cardiovascular disease
- targeted and gene therapy of cancer and other diseases
- cancer immunology and immunotherapy
- novel methodologies to evaluate drug-dietary and herbal-supplement interactions
Strengths of our program
Our program uses multi-disciplinary basic and translational research approaches to (1) understand mechanisms of disease, 2) identify novel therapeutic targets, (3) develop and optimize pharmaceutical treatment approaches, and 4) promote the prevention and management of chronic diseases.
Course requirements are flexible, and can be tailored to individual needs and career goals. We place emphasis on communication skills and building confidence in scientific outreach.
The wide array of disciplines within the College of Pharmacy Graduate Program provides an extensive range of career opportunities in pharmaceutical industry, biotechnology companies, hospitals, specialty laboratories, government agencies, and academia.
WSU Health Sciences campus in Spokane
Our college has recently relocated to the WSU Health Sciences campus in Spokane where you will be face to face with research faculty and students in pharmacy, medicine, nursing and many other health sciences.
See our list of Graduate Program Faculty, click on their names to read their biographies.